- Sector: Retail Planning, Strategic Planning
- Project: Retail Centres Strategy
- Client: Wyong Council
- DFP Services: Land Use Planning, Surveys, Expenditure Estimates, Retail Centres Strategy
DFP prepared a Retail Centres Strategy for the Wyong Local Government Area (LGA). The Strategy sets out the retail hierarchy across the LGA based on the role and function of each centre.
The Retail Centres Strategy provides a strategic framework for the network of centres and provides for guidelines to allow for:
- Centres to grow and respond to the ever changing retail environment.
- Centres that have the capacity to meet the growth in demand generated by population growth.
- Centres that provide residents with the widest possible range of shopping opportunities and commercial services.
- Conveniently located and accessible centres.
- Protection of the integrity of the existing centres network and viability of existing centres to ensure that they continue to provide for the needs of the community.
- Protection and creation of employment opportunities in centres.
- Sustainable centres in terms of infrastructure provision particularly transport infrastructure.
The Strategy details the long term planning and development objectives for the centres and sets out directions to encourage investment in centres. It also includes a ‘toolbox’, based on net community test principles, to assist in preparing and assessing Planning Proposals (rezonings) that seek additional retail floor space.
The Strategy was prepared in consultation with major stakeholders, Council and the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure and was adopted by Council in November 2013.